Graduation and New York State Certification Requirements
Applying for Certification and Applying for SUNY
Plattsburgh Graduation Are Separate Processes.
Applying for Graduation:
All undergraduate, combined (BA/MST Adol. 7-12 & BS/MSEd ECE/CE/SpEd B-6), and "stand alone" graduate students will need to complete and submit a “ Diploma Application Form" This form is also available at any time at the Registrar Office. (Please note that the "Branch Campus" has a separate graduation ceremony. Contact the Branch Campus for more details.)
Please be aware of the deadlines. Student
teachers' deadlines differ slightly than other majors.
Deadlines for student teachers applying for
First of October for December and
First of March for May and August
- Info regarding commencement procedures.
Applying for Certification. Go to: http://web.plattsburgh.edu/academics/education/certification.php
Fingerprinting. As stated in the Teacher Candidates' Roles and Responsibilities Section, you are required to complete the NYSED Fingerprinting Process BEFORE student teaching.
- As of July 1, 2009, OSPRA will no longer accept paper fingerprinting applications (OSPRA 101). All applications must be filed online using TEACH Online
- Applicants must apply on line.
- NYSED OSPRA can mail to you "Ink and Roll" FBI Fingerprint Cards if needed.
- Use TEACH to apply for fingerprint clearance online and to check current fingerprint status.
- Source: 1.26.10 email from the New York State Education Department, OSPRA Unit, 89 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12234, 518.473.2889, OSPRA@MAIL.NYSED.GOV
- NYSED Fingerprinting Process
students placed in New York City. In addition to going
through the NYSED fingerprinting process, you will need to fill out
FOUR additional forms:
- OSPRA 103 Authorization to Forward Criminal History Record Information to the City School District of the City of New York;
I-9 Form Employment Eligibility Verification
Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WHO PLAN ON STUDENT TEACHING IN NYC: You must obtain Curricular Practical Training authorization for your student teaching BEFORE you go to NYC. If you have prior CPT authorization from your International Student Advisor, you are considered non-immigrant aliens allowed to work in the eyes of the U.S. government. In order to establish both your identity and employment authorization, please submit copies of the following documents with your I-9:1) Form I-20 with the CPT authorization; 2) I-94 card; 3) F-1 visa; 4) passport photo page; and 5) student ID card from SUNY Plattsburgh. We would encourage you to make an appointment with Ms. Jessa Karki, International Student Advisor, email@example.com & 518.564.3288 for more information and/or assistance.
- NYCDOE Fingerprint Referral Form;
- All forms must be mailed to NYCDOE. You do not need to submit a "nomination letter." The "registration form" will suffice.
- More information will be provided to you in your Student Teaching Placement Packet and by SUTEC: http://www.suny.edu/sutec/
Non U.S. Citizens.
- All International Students should see Ms. Jessa Karki, International Student Advisor,, firstname.lastname@example.org &518.564.3288. Ms. Karki can help you with an Optional Practical Training ( OPT) which allows for one-year (12 months) of eligibility to work in the United States in a job that is related to your field of study. You may choose to take advantage of this benefit to use it before graduation or after graduation. OPT is commonly used by international students after graduation.
International students applying for
"Permanent" or "Professional"
- United States Citizenship or USCIS Permanent Residency is required for "Permanent" or "Professional Certification": http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/citizenshipreq.html
Other information pertaining
for New York State Certification (Initial & Professional), effective
February 2, 2004
Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate through the NYSED's
Individual Evaluation for Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate
for a Professional Certificate
- Conditions for an Extension of a Certificate
- New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE) required for Initial Certification. Please note changes: Candidates graduating in May 2014 or after should wait for the new tests to be available before beginning testing. Meet with your advisor. It is your responsibility to periodically check the NYSTCE site for any and all updated information.
- Reciprocal (Interstate) Agreements with other states: Contact the "Education Department" directly of the respective state.
- New York State United Teachers’ Union Information:
- Information pertaining to the New York State Teachers’ Retirement System:
Once you have created a "TEACH Online"
account, you will be able to check your status by going to: https://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/teachext/teach.jsp.
- Certificate Titles and Codes:
- Contact your BOCES Regional Certification Officer for specific questions regarding certification: